When I bought my RV, I was only looking for a gas powered RV. However, I know, that having diesel is more economical and cheaper in the long run. For those looking to buy a motorhome the number one question is whether or not to but a gas or diesel vehicle. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, and they are discussed below to help make your decision making easier.
Getting a gas motorhome
- Money: A gas engine is typically cheaper to maintain because the parts and services are less costly. Additionally, gas-powered vehicles cost less initially. While diesel gas used to be cheaper than regular gas, the prices continue to rise in such a way that they are almost high enough to nullify the benefit you get from additional mpg.
- Speed: Gas powered RVs are much quicker than diesel engine vehicles, so if speed matters to you, then you need to go with a gas engine.
- Maintenance: Gas engines are easier to maintain in that you can do a great deal of the work yourself. If you are comfortable working on engines, then you can save time and money by performing regular maintenance yourself. Neglecting a diesel engine can result in serious and very expensive damage and repairs, as compared to easy-to-maintain gas engines.
- Life Span: Diesel engines have a longer lifespan than gas engines. Most can go for over 200,000 miles before requiring an overhaul.
- Efficiency: You can expect more miles per gallon with a diesel RV as gas engines do not come with a high mpg rating.
- Value: The low mpg rating and shorter lifespan cause gas engines to hold lower value than diesel vehicles. The value of your diesel motorhome will be upheld for much longer regardless of the travels it has made.
- Environment: Gas engines produce more CO2 emissions which are considered to be a major catalyst to the global warming epidemic.
- Characteristics: Diesel engines are not affected by high altitudes as much as gas engines, so mountain travels can be done with ease. The carrying and towing capacity for diesel engines is also greater because of the larger chassis. This heavy chassis along with the air ride suspension also give diesel motorhomes a much smoother ride.
- Selection: Diesel motorhomes typically come with a greater selection of floor plans and they tend to have more luxurious interiors as compared to gas engine RVs.
Depending on what factors are more important to you, the choice between diesel and gas motorhomes can be made using the information above. One thing for sure is that you will never regret becoming an ‘RVer’ no matter which engine you go with.